Top 5 things to do?.. perhaps
Guests often ask what are the top things to do or see whilst on holiday on the island.
Everyone has a personal view – Lewis, and the Outer Hebrides, is a place where the whole landscape is the ‘ top sight’.
But in addition to just relaxing, taking in the different way of life and breathing fresh island air,we would suggest you must:
- One day circular tour – Visit Calanish Stones which rivals Stonehenge and you can walk around and touch the stones. Stop at Carloway Broch in the same area; and visit Gearranan Blackhouse village and the old Blackhouses on the west coast and watch Harris tweed woven at a weaver’s house in Carloway. Lunch at the café at the Stones
- One day – Visit Harris for a full day of sightseeing in a different landscape – more lovely beaches on the west, scenery, tweed shopping. A circular down the west coast and back via the east, on the ‘Golden Road’, if you are a confident driver on narrow roads. Stop in Tarbert for Harris Tweed shop; be stunned by Luskentyre Beach on the west, wander around the ancient Rodel Church to the very south; the Anchorage Restaurant at Leverburgh Pier is an excellent lunch stop.
- In Stornoway, a traditional walk is around the Lews Castle Grounds which gives a very different view of the island but you can also join a ‘Segway’ tour around the grounds (www.segwayhebrides.com ).
- Enjoy a picnic on some of the beaches. Head out in the car, turning left on the main road as far as you can go past Tolsta for a walk along either of the two beaches there – Traigh Mhor and Garry Beach, my favourite is the second smaller beach, especially if the tide is out. From this second Garry Beach, walk up the track over the ‘Bridge to Nowhere’ and walk along following the cliff as far as the waterfall. Also, some other beaches on the west coast of Lewis are stunning – Reef Beach and Bosta Beach (with Iron Age settlement), both in an area called Uig.
- And, remember, everything closes on a Sunday.
… You will run out of time to explore, and just have to return another time! Enjoy!!